Saturday, April 17, 2010

Freebies are Fun

I opened my mailbox the other day to find a surprise package in it. Sure, I knew it was coming because Ny told me I'd won, but the contents were a lovely surprise. Cloud-soft art yarn in cotton candy pink with a sample of her "coily Q" yarn. Ny, why don't you live closer so you can give me some spinning tips? This is sweet stuff. A little curly, just the right touch of shine, and a lot of soft. You can check out more of Ny's spinning and dyeing as well as new giveaways at ilash designs.


As for me, Marikio has been kind of lazy in the art and fiber department and a lot distracted by springtime. Today is rainy however, so I may try to finish a few projects that have been lying around for far too long. The garden is pretty much mud today but I don't mind at all. Rain.... it's one of my favorite things (raindrops on roses and all that) and so rare here in the high desert that it's good to simply watch the earth drink it up and unfurl all the green stuff. This past week has been amazing with pears, peaches, apples, lilacs, tulips and more racing to beat each other to the punch for most beautiful:


What I've been doing most is "art journaling". I've filled two or three little books but they like to stay hidden because it's mostly personal - collages and small paintings with observations on life and love and the people and places around me. Sometimes something grows from the small page into something larger and a little different. Here's one that did that:


If you're interested in art journaling yourself, I highly recommend Danny Gregory's books "An Illustrated Life" and "Everyday Matters". "Everyday Life" is his own book while "An Illustrated Life" is entirely made up of glimpses into other people's journals, some professional artists, many of the just like you and me. You'll want to try it yourself.... and maybe you should.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your props! Your art journaling is so cool! You make it look so interesting and fun!

Mary (Marikio) said...

Thanks Ny! It is just that exactly. I hope you're having fun with the dye pot again. Take care and stay in touch!