Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter and Other Fun


Happy Easter to Everyone!

In our family we have a tradition - the Easter egg cracking game. I'm not certain how we came to do this - the game is common in the Netherlands, Germany, even Lebanon, and some think originated in Greece, though in Greece they do it with red eggs only. Since mom's family has some Dutch blood and dad's came from Lithuania which once stretched from the Baltic to the Mediterranean, it seems to have hit us from both sides. Just like the eggs. In our family, the egg war is conducted under strict rules - well, some years it does get a little 'free for all', but that's generally when there are a lot of unruly children involved. One egg at a time, one egg per person, those are the rules. The one egg left uncracked at the end is declared winner, and the victor is crowned the Egg Queen or King for the year (with a real tiara - of some sort). Though our family is now scattered from Florida to Mississippi, from Philadelphia to Santa Fe, we still do it and this year, since my daughter will be at work in Philly, her egg will play by proxy. That's hers up there...

May the best egg win! No raw eggs, no painted wooden ones. (It's happened before)


My mom is one of those of us still living in Florida. I don't get to see her often so as a way to both stay in touch and to play with new ideas, I've started sending her original post cards every week or so. The first was an altered photo of an apple blossom with water color extending the photo to the edges. The second was a photo of her, taken on her last visit to Santa Fe. This was the third, inspired by my peach tree by the full moon last week. I'll try to remember to photo and upload them as I go.

And in other news, I am happy to hear that I was the March winner in ilash designs Fiberlicious giveaway! Check out her store here for some beautiful fiber, handspun yarn, and her unique creations. Can't wait to see what I won :)

No comments: